Apr 10, 2007

Corned beef ... Recipe Tuesday

Right now, Dear Reader, I have a pot full o'goodness bubbling away on the stove. We've passed St Patrick's Day by 3 weeks or so and casting about for something to eat led Sic_un to say "You still have some corned beef in the freezer. Make it up. We'll have sandwiches".
So I have corned beef bubbling on the stove. Here's how I do it for sandwiches, which is a little different from how I do it for corned beef and cabbage:

Corned Beef for Sandwiches
1 beef brisket (for St. Pat's, I didn't want a huge amount of leftovers, so I got a 3 lb brisket and cut away about 1 1/2 lbs. SO I'm using about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 teaspoons mustard seed-lightly crushed
1/2 sweet white onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds-lightly crushed
1 teaspoon each dried basil and rosemary
1 bay leaf (leave it in the broth)
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
water to cover

In the bottom of a large saucepan or soup pot (whatever the brisket will fit into, remember: You can cut it to fit), saute the onion and spices over medium heat until the onion is transparent. Mine took me about 3 or 4 minutes. Once the onion is transparent, put the beef on top of it, fat side down. Let it sizzle and render some of the fat off for about 3 minutes. Turn it over, let it go another 3 minutes. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the brisket. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
Turn off the heat and let it rest in the broth for about 15 minutes.
Remove from broth, let rest 5 minutes.
Slice thin, make sandwiches.

The difference between this for sammies and this for c.b.&c is that I use less mustard and caraway, but add in thyme. Then, after simmering and getting all happy in the broth, I'll throw in potatoes (peeled and chunked) for about 30 minutes and cabbage wedges for about 15 minutes (take a head of cabbage, slice it into wedges lengthwise--I can get up to 16 out of a head) and that's corned beef and cabbage. Less spicy, since the meat has to do less.

For sandwiches, we're using cheddar cheese, white bread, mayo, mustard (dijon), lettuce and tomato (yeah, we're weird, we'll cop to that).

Enjoy!

No comments: