May 29, 2007

Cinnamon roll failure... Recipe Tuesday

We arranged for a pot luck at work. I said I'd make caramel sticky buns, those upside down delights of my mother's that I adored. I had all the ingredients, I had a reasonable recipe...

Or so I thought.

I followed the recipe, only made 1 very small change. I put some allspice in the general dough. That's the ONLY change I made.

After the 20 minutes baking time specified, I had grey rocks. No golden anywhere. So I left them in a little bit longer, about 7 minutes. Took them out. The caramel at the bottom had burnt, but the middle of the rolls were still completely raw. The top (browning) side of them was hard as a rock, no give anywhere.

This recipe failed spectacularly. I had fresh yeast, it raised perfectly, the dough sampled good, it was kneaded and shaped properly, it was a good, soft, elastic dough with a lot of gluten developed. It failed spectacularly.

i wouldn't serve the finished product to a goat.

Someone. Anyone. COME TO OAK RIDGE AND TEACH ME HOW TO FUCKING BAKE SOMETHING OTHER THAN COOKIES.

No comments: