Mar 6, 2007

The Its-Been-a-Hell-of-a-Week Quiche

Hi, I'm SiO2. I've commented some here and I post Recipe Tuesday stuff in that Other journaling site, but the food's good so at Neuro's request I'll be cross posting here and there and I also ended up with my own blog(I'll link if I do anything with it). I'm sure that's mostly a sentence.

Its Recipe Tuesday and after the week or so that it has been, Dear Reader (rough and not in that warm squishy way), I figure I'll make comfort food this week.

This is the sort of about right style my dad taught me to cook in (think of measuring a teaspoon in of salt into your cupped palm and knowing its about right). I have no idea what dad calls this, but its thing he made for dinner when the day had been long or awful.

OK pick up a zucchini: wash and shred it

Take a glass baking pan and grease or spray it. Then line it with the zucchini shreds and press them into place. Bake 350 that til a little crispy. After you pull that out of the oven turn it up to 400 to preheat.

Take enough eggs (5ish - it depends upon your pan) and milk and cheese to fill this and beat them and pour it in to the crust, plus or minus spicing but really I like it mostly plain. Fresh sage could go well.

Place mixture in the crust then cover with red chile sauce, which is buy red chile add water and simmer till gooey.

Bake at 400 or so for 30-45 or til golden brown and solid.

I always think this is fabulous in its balance: spicy and plain, crunchy and soft. Sorry no pictures.

2 comments:

Darkneuro said...

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!
And it's always rough and that not-gushy way :)
I'm trying to talk Sic_un into quiche. I'll let you know how it works :)

Si02 said...

I made it for the office and they threatened to keep me on just to cook. :)