Feb 27, 2007

Pizza pizza..

First, I'm late off work tonight, so I'm posting this from work. There will be no pictures. Sorry. Like I said, I'm late off work, and rather than go up and only spend 2-3 hours with Sic_un, I'm 'staying home'. Since I have no intarweb, it must be done here. No pictures because well, it's work. I can get fired for plugging things into the computers here.

Sic_un and I have been tossing around dinner ideas, who cooks, etc etc etc. Yesterday, we decided 'Fuck it, we'll make pizza'. That's this week's Recipe Tuesday


PIZZA PIZZA
1 pizza crust (you can use Boboli, pre-cooked crusts, frozen crusts, refrigerator crusts [this is what we did], or make your own. I didn't want the mess so we used refrigerator crusts. I've also used standard french bread loaves sliced in 1/2)
Pizza Sauce (jarred sauces are fine--We used the Ragu Pizza sauce. It has no added sugar((!)) and it's not overpoweringly sweet-Look into white sauces, pestos, make your own)
Italian sausage-Brown before hand
ham slices
Pepperoni
Mushrooms
Sliced bell peppers
Jalapenos
Sliced red onion
Cheese (we used pre-shredded 'italian' blend from Sargento...It was on sale and the same price a standard 3 cheese blend would be, so we used the 6 cheese blend from Sargento)

Start with crust preparation. If you want to make your own crust, check Food Network or Recipe Source for recipes. Follow the directions. Next time, we're talking about making our own crusts. The Pillsbury refrigerator crust is OK flavor-wise, a little tough texture-wise, and it winds up as a 'thin' crust. I don't like 'thin' crusts in general, so I wasn't super happy with it, but it was OK.
Once the crust is prepped (my instructions were bake it 8 minutes, then top it and bake it 9-11 minutes more), top.
Start with the sauce. Don't load it down too much with sauce because it will make the crust soggy after baking.
Drain all meats and veggies. This makes it less likely to drip and get wierd.
Layer on your toppings. I started with a little cheese in the sauce, then meats, then more cheese, then veggies then more cheese.
Sic_un did sauce, meat, veggies, cheese.
Bake it to bubble the cheese. If the crust appears to be getting too dark, feel free to cover the edges with foil and stick it under the broiler to get a bubbly hot top.

So we had pizza for dinner and were curious... Has anyone else ended up making pizza and getting more than satisfied with 1 or 2 pieces? We order a pizza and I can scarf down a full 4 slices if I'm determined to. I could barely finish 1 piece of the homemade, it was that filling. Any clue? I mean, I know amount of topping has a lot to do with it, and I packed a huge amount of toppings on, but Sic_un was only able to finish 2 pieces of his and he was full too. Anybody else experience this?

***
The birthday was great! I had a ball! We're actually talking about going bowling now. I bowled an 86 the first game and a 74 the second game (last drunken bowling I made a 13? 15? Something like that. It's an improvement!). We're not too concerned with scoring, it's just... Is it fun? Yes. Did we HAVE fun? Yes. Was it different? Yes. SO we'll probably go again.
Peace, Dear Reader.

No comments: