Feb 27, 2007

Mil's Braised Pork Chops

Alrighty then. Today really sucked at work. They beat me up. I forgot my camera at the apartment and I really don't feel like going to get it. So this Recipe Tuesday is sans photogs. I apologize. It really is a rum kinda day, the way that SiO2 posted earlier... I'd point you to her recipes... OOH.... HEY!!! SiO2!!! Want a page here to cross-post to? We'll see. Anyway, she's got a locked post over at LJ on some TREMENDOUS rum drinks because yes... It's a rum day. SO pour one up (A Dark & Stormy:take the good ginger beer/add enough of the good gold rum(I like Sailor Jerry cuz its sweet and tastes like it costs more than the 10 bucks it is) to taste, usually about a shot will do ya.Bingo you have yourself a Dark and Stormy no matter what the weather is! OOOOR Mojito/Rum/mint leaves/sugar syrup - you want syrup because plain sugar sits in the bottom of your glass and has to be stirred back in occasionally/club soda -though its rumored you could replace these last two with ginger beer, but I've never tried it. )
There... Properly lubricated and let's go to the kitchen for

Mil's Braised Pork Chops

A note before we start. This is the recipe of a positively DELIGHTFUL 87 year old woman in Albuquerque. Specifically, Dan's grandmother. Strange, as many problems as I had with Dan, his blood relatives were great. His mom was a peach, his grandmother the same (if a little wierd and uptight in a 1950's kind of way), his brother was a doll. Dan... Meh. But Mil had these great pork chops she made. She gave me the recipe a couple years ago. For the parenthetical comments, hear a wavery, 'little old lady from Joisey' voice in your head. That's Mil.

Pork chops (figure 1-2 chops each), 3/4 to 1 inch thick, with bone (more flavor)
Seasoning (Mil would say 'I use the Lawry's', but I'm using Crazy Jane's pepper and salt mixes)
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/2 medium white onion, sliced thin

Prep your chops: Rub your seasoning of choice into each side, let sit at least 10 minutes to absorb the seasoning.
Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium high heat. Throw in the chops. Cook each side approximately 4 minutes. We're going for color and flavor possibilities, not cooking it through. When you flip them over, throw your 1/2 onion in around the chops. Stir it around, make sure it doesn't burn. You can add a tablespoon of olive oil if you want to help with the onions, but I never really do.
When the chops are nicely seared, remove them to the side. Stir in 2 cups water and the soup mix. Get that fond off the bottom of the pan. Return the chops to the pan.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 to 45 minutes (depends on the thickness). Cut into them to be sure. I personally don't like pork pink, not chops. The braise actually keeps the pork from drying out. 'Course, it would be better with a well-marbled, not-lean chop, but you work with what you get. (You can also finish it off in the oven, you know, just set it to about 375, throw 'em in for an hour or so, cover with foil). Serve with sides of your choice.

The braising liquid makes an EXCELLENT jus, you can also serve a gravy on the side by thickening up the braising liquid.

***
There. Recipe Tuesday. I didn't fail completely. At least at something, right?

I'm not in a good place tonight, Dear Reader. I really had a shitty day at work. I seriously hate the fact that ... God. How can I put this? I hate the client and the limitations they've put on us as customer service personnel in light of today's litigious society. I can't DO anything. Nothing I do really makes one bit of difference. People call us for parts help. "I've got a (fill in the blank) on order, it's been on order 2 months. When's it coming?" We're supposed to be able to get this expedited, but it never works that way. So I document and tell them 'Gee, we're trying to find out a date when you'll get to drive your car again!'

I can't do anything when someone calls to complain about a dealer. We're just a fucking supplier. It's like calling Proctor&Gamble because your local grocery chain hired an idiot who called you an old hag. It makes no sense. Don't call me a cunt because of it, you know? SO I do my job, which is supposed to somehow be helping people. Everything I do is documented and then the client's various departments (R&D, Tech support, marketing) get a fucking number on a chart to indicate I spoke with Mrs. Smith and her car has a steering problem. They don't see the fact that I spent an HOUR on the phone with Mrs. Smith listening to her call me every name in the book except Jesus, state several times I should be kissing her ass, and all I can do is tell her I can document it. They don't get that. I dont' t think my bosses get that.

I get asked at least once a day if someone can talk to the president of the company. Get this... This is from Wikipedia: (not pointing to the company name cause I really can't AFFORD to be fired)

The share register of Company X makes for interesting reading. The largest shareholder in Company X today is the State of Kuwait, with 7.2%. Followed by Deutsche Bank, with just under 5%. The 3rd largest shareholder is the Emirate of Dubai, with just over 2% of Company X shares.

Breaking the shareholdings by region:

That's the owners of the client. These stupid fucking fuckheads think THESE PEOPLE want to talk to them. These stupid fucking fuckheads think the fact that they/their relatives/their friends are IMPORTANT to the company because they've bought a car. Nobody is important to these fucking conglomerates. They are owners because THEY LIKE MONEY... THEY DON'T GIVE A SHIT. GO KILL SOME OTHER MESSENGER!

jesus I've had a bad day.

No comments: