Feb 27, 2007

Happy Tuesday, Dear Reader. I thought and thought and thought what the HELL to do for Recipe Tuesday. Even I get quite bored with chicken every now and again. SO... I decided to do something quick and easy, both to prep and cook. Beef Fajitas. Now, please note, Dear Reader... These are not like my Cheater Fajitas. These actually require ingredients. You may insert one smile here. That being said, they really are quick and easy. Prep time on them should, with all the slicing involved, take maybe 15 minutes. Marinating time is however long you decide to marinate them (I need something that can be thrown on literally on a moment's notice... I'm home from work, but Bro isn't off his final yet and Sis isn't home from work yet [[I don't think. There is evidence someone was here earlier, but nobody's home right now 'scept me]]). Rather than make something and have it get cold before everyone gets here, I thought I'd make something that can be thrown on 'whenever'. I only wish Blogger was cooperating with my images. I had to load them all in the good old-fashioned html way. Forgive the size. That being said... Shall we go to the kitchen, Dear Reader?

Steak Fajitas
1 1/2 pounds round steak, sliced across the grain into 1/4 inch wide slices
1/4 cup vinegar (I used red wine vinegar and cider vinegar, equal parts each, mixed)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon dried cilantro (dried 'cause it's a marinade. Use 3x as much fresh if you can get your hands on it)
Juice from 1 lime
salt and pepper to taste
2 bell peppers, sliced thin (I used 1 green,1/2 orange and 1/2 yellow... combine how you like)
1/2 to 1 full onion, julienned (I used 1/2 an onion... didn't want to overpower)
large 'burrito' size flour tortillas
Tomatoes (garnish)
Sour cream (garnish)
salsa (garnish)
shredded cheddar cheese (garnish)

In a non-reactive dish, mix together the vinegar, olive oil, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, chili powder, crushed red pepper, cilantro and lime juice.

Toss the thinly sliced beef to coat, refrigerate until you're ready to cook.

In a large saute pan (I used non-stick for cleaning reasons), heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion, cook until soft. Add bell pepper, cook until mostly soft.


Remove beef from marinade, salt and pepper the beef to taste (should be about 1 teaspoon each). Cook the beef to desired doneness (I like it medium rare). Remove from heat.


Build your fajita using a tortilla base, meat mixture, then garnish to taste.



Enjoy.

Notes:
On the cilantro: Bro agrees with me, cilantro is heavily overused in most dishes. A little is good. Don't chop up cupsful of it and expect to taste anything but cilantro. A little in the marinade goes a long way.
Play with your spices, Dear Reader. You can add tabasco to the marinade, you can add salsa to the marinade. I did what I like with it. Don't be afraid to experiment (one man's kink is another man's perversion). Play with your food, Dear Reader. Instead of using bell peppers, you can throw in some chopped roasted red peppers. You can use chipotle peppers and their adobo sauce. You can use jalapenos. Play! Different vinegars are red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, tarragon vinegar, cider vinegar, basalmic... PLAY!
Possible garnishes can include lettuce, guacamole, refried beans, spanish rice, more onion, mushrooms, sauteed garlic, green onions, chutneys, salsa fresca (easy salsa fresca: chop up tomatoes, onions, cilantro, green onions and jalapenos, mix to combine), jalapenos, habaneros... Again, play with it.
And as always, let me know what you think.

One last thing, Dear Reader....


It's food. PLAY WITH IT!

No comments: