Nov 12, 2006

Curried Scallops

Greetings, Dear Reader! It's time once again for Darkneuro to hit the kitchen and whip up something wonderful. Since I missed it last week, shall I do penance? Someone give me penance.

I decided to hit a cookbook for a wee bit of inspiration this week. Quite frankly, since I'm refusing to buy anything for the apartment that I'll leave behind, I've been trying to go through the miniscule freezer. Steak just didn't sound appetizing to me today (oooh, the horror...the horror!), and a roast... Meh. Too heavy. I wanted something that was quick, relatively light, but a lot of flavor.

So in flipping through Mom's copy of Betty Crocker, I hit the seafood section. And then I found Curried Scallops. And my mouth said "MMmmmmmmm.... Curry" and began watering. Then I read the recipe. And my brain said "Effing WOW! Easy!"... But me being me, I had to mess with it just a smidge. I'll note the original recipe in brackets [ ] where I changed it. (and yes, I did say 'effing'... I've been doing that lately. Don't know why, it's just... there.)


Curried Scallops

3 tablespoons butter, separated [original said margarine or, and then used margarine throughout. BUTTER, people. USE BUTTER. It really does taste better, and for sautées of any kind, it can't be beat.]
1 pound sea scallops, cut in quarters [said half, but they were HUGE... U20's]
4 green onions with tops, chopped [they said 3]
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon curry powder (use your favorite)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used sea salt... sea salt, seafood... Yeah.)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
2 roma tomatoes [said 1 medium]
Hot rice for serving



Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until melted.
Throw in the scallops and saute 4 to 5 minutes [they say until white] until very lightly browned. Remove them from the skillet, and wipe out your pan [drain]



Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the same pan. Cook onion, flour, curry powder and salt over medium-high [medium] heat, stirring constantly, until bubbly.






Remove from heat. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Put back on the medium-high setting. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute.






Stir in tomatoes and scallops. Heat about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.






Curried Scallops


NOTES:
1. On the scallops: They were pretty expensive here. $10 a pound, but the quality was EXCELLENT. Really fresh, firm, gorgeous. Simply beautiful.
2. Curry: Use your favorite. I used what the local grocery had. I should probably have hit the Asian market instead.
3. I used Roma tomatoes because they don't have anwhere near as much juice as the standard 'tomato'.
4. If by chance you get a too-hot-for-you curry going, just tame it down with a little plain yogurt or a smidge of sour cream. That said, this had 0 heat factor for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the recipe, I just moved and cn't locate my cookbook from the 60's