Nov 12, 2006

Honey Ginger Chicken #2

Greetings, Dear Reader. Ready to hit the kitchen again for another Recipe Tuesday? I wanted to try a slightly different take on the honey ginger chicken. Namely, use boneless/skinless chicken instead of the bone-in, skin-on thighs. SO, I hit the kitchen (yes, Ginger Rice is on the menu) and decided to see what I could come up with. It worked really well, and since I prefer using boneless/skinless, I'll do it this way more often.

HONEY GINGER CHICKEN #2

3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thigh cutlets**, cut into rough 1x1 inch pieces
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup chili sauce

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
1/8 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Tabasco©)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix the flour, ginger and black pepper in a plastic bag. Toss the chicken in the bag until it’s well coated with flour. Let this sit while you put the rice on (see below)
After you put the rice on, assemble the sauce in a small bowl or in a measuring cup (makes it easier to pour)
After the rice has been cooking approximately 10 minutes, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet on medium high heat until shimmery.
After removing the rice from the heat, go ahead and start cooking the chicken.


Put the floured chicken in a single layer in the bottom of the skillet. Cook approximately 2 minutes, stir. Cook approximately 2 minutes, stir.





The goal is to cook the chicken through and get it lightly browned.Once this happens, (took me approximately 7 minutes) pour the sauce mixture into the pan and stir. Continue stirring for approximately 3 minutes, then remove from heat. The rice should be done with its ‘sitting’ time right about now.

Serve chicken and sauce over the ginger rice.


Ginger Rice:
1 cup basmati rice
1 3\4 cup water
2 teaspoons grated ginger

Mix all ingredients in a 3 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir once. Cover pan, reduce heat to low. Simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leaving it covered, let it sit 10 minutes.

HONEY GINGER CHICKEN #2--The boneless version


**NOTES: On the chicken #1: I hit the grocery store to get some boneless/skinless breasts. Those fuckers had small packages of breasts, but they wanted 4.99 a pound for them!! The LARGE packages of breasts were selling for .99 a pound. Excuse me? I’m sorry. I live in an apartment. I have a SMALL refrigerator/freezer unit. I do not have the room to STORE 6 pounds of chicken breasts at once. So I got the thigh cutlets instead. Regular price? 1.99 a pound. That’s so messed up.

On the chicken #2: Cut your chicken with scissors. You'll be happier and there's less mess. YES,
the scissors will go in the dishwasher. Do what I do, hit the dollar store. Buy 6 pair. You'll never need to search for scissors again.


On the chicken #3: While you're cooking the chicken, you'll notice the flour from the chicken starts making a roux. Again, since the goal is to get the chicken lightly browned and cooked through, you'll want to watch your roux as well. I cooked it to a light-medium tone (sorry about the yellowish photo. I'm still learning how the camera sees certain light types and how it autocompensates)

No comments: