Nov 12, 2006

Curry chicken #2

Ah, yes... We hit the curry again, Dear Reader. I'm getting into it. This is a little different. I'm finding that ingredients here are a little wierd to get. Until the farmer's markets open up at the end of the month, veggies in the stores are rather... Sick looking. That said, this did turn out really mild, and really good. We had it tonight with a mixed salad. Shall we go to the kitchen, Dear Reader? Notes at the end for adjustments and other suggestions...

Curry Chicken #2

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 chicken thighs, skin on/with bone
Salt and pepper
1 medium onion, chopped into 1/4" pieces
3 teaspoons curry
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin seeds, coarsely crushed (I used a mortar & pestle)
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 pound bag frozen veggies: Cauliflower/broccoli/carrot blend (I used Bird's Eye)--THAWED



Heat butter and oil in large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook thighs skin side down until golden brown. Flip chicken and cook cut side until golden brown. Remove chicken from pan to a plate.






Stir in onions and cook until tender






Stir in spices and flour, cook until aromatic






Stir in veggies, coating well with spice mixture





Add chicken stock, bring to a simmer, stir in tomatoes.




Place chicken back into skillet, skin side up. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Serve over rice, spooning some sauce over rice.





CURRY CHICKEN #2


Notes: This is called Curry Chicken #2 because it's the 2nd curried chicken dish I've made. Lovely how these things come about, isn't it?
I used the frozen veggies because I just really couldn't find carrots, broccoli and cauliflower at the local markets that I was willing to spend money on. That being said, if you're lucky enough to be able to get really killer fresh veggies, do so. The equivilents would be 2 carrorts, chopped how you like, 1 cup broccoli and 1/2 cup cauliflower. It's easiest for me to do frozen veg, so that's what I did. I certainly wasn't going to use what the grocery had.
Instead of chili powder, you can use cayenne for more spice.
I used a yellow curry, Bro said 'MMm, green would be good!'. I agree as well, but again. Go with what you have on hand or can get. He's going to introduce me to Ms. Wong, who is apparently the go-to for 'wierd' ingredients (go figure... I can find pickled pigs feet in the local groceries, but no green curry).
Spice it up how you like. It's mild as is. If you want to add to it, go for it. If you want to leave stuff out, go for it. Let me know if you make it/enjoy it.

No comments: